Plastic Pollution Reduction ACT

During the 2022 Legislative Session the Colorado General Assembly passed HB 21-1162 establishing the Plastic Pollution Reduction Act. This program is intended to reduce the amount of single-use plastic products provided to consumers from stores and restaurants. The program implements various requirements during 2023 and 2024.

January 1, 2023 until December 31, 2023: Certain stores as defined in the bill must charge each customer a $0.10 cent fee per bag (recycled paper or single-use plastic bags) at point of sale.

April 1, 2023: Certain stores as defined in the bill must remit 60% of the collected disposable bag fees to the local jurisdiction where the stores is located. Remittance is provided quarterly. The store retains the remaining 40%.

January 1, 2024: Certain stores as defined in the bill are prohibited from providing single-use plastic carryout bags or at point of sale. Recycled paper bags may be provided subject to the $0.10 cent fee per bag. Certain retail food establishments may not provide expanded polystyrene commonly known as Styrofoam™.

Exemptions from the program:

Any business (store or restaurant) with three or fewer locations all within Colorado and not part of a franchise are not required to comply with the program.

Customers who can prove that they participate in a federal or state food assistance program and not required to pay the bag fee.

Material used in the packaging of pharmaceutical drugs, medical devises or dietary supplements are exempt from the requirements of the program.

  • Remitting Fees to Unincorporated El Paso County:
  1. Fill in the attached form. Print and sign.
  2. Make checks payable to El Paso County
  3. Mail the check and completed form to:

El Paso County


3255 Akers Drive

Colorado Springs, CO 80922

For questions contact Kathy Andrew at 719-520-7879 or