The El Paso County Community Services Department Environmental Division Household Hazardous Waste Facility located at 3255 Akers Drive, Colorado Springs, CO 80922 (map at bottom of page) accepts household hazardous waste drop off by appointment only. (paints, household chemicals, some electronics, etc.). You may call 719-520-7878 or 719-520-7879 for assistance. Proof of El Paso or Teller County residency is required at drop-off (photo ID, lease, etc.)
• Appointments for May 2020 are SOLD OUT. You can make an appointment for June using the link below.
• Appointments for June 2020: www.hazwasteapptjune2020.eventbrite.com
The Recycling Program (plastics, tin, cardboard, etc.) as well as the Free Item Program are separate from hazardous waste disposal and will NOT be available until further notice.
EXAMPLES OF MATERIALS ACCEPTED AT THE EL PASO COUNTY HOUSEHOLD HAZARDOUS WASTE FACILITY:
Paint, Stains, Solvents, Etc. Latex, Oil-Based, Aerosol, and Hobby Paints; Lacquers, Solvents, Stains, Strippers, Thinners, Varnishes, etc. Limited to a total of 50 gallons.
Lawn and Garden: Lawn & Houseplant Fertilizers, Herbicides, Insecticides, Pesticides, Rodent Poisons, Wood Preservatives, etc.
Household: Aerosols, Ammonia, Batteries, Bleach, Cleaners (carpet, drain, oven, toilet), Cooking & Lamp oils, Degreasers, Deodorizers, Fire Extinguishers, Floor Products, Fluorescent Lights, Furniture Polish, Laundry Products, Mercury, Mothballs, Pool/Spa Chemicals, Photo Chemicals, Rust Removers, Silver Cleaners, Smoke Alarms, Spot Removers, One pound (camping) and Twenty Pound (BBQ) Propane Tanks etc.
Porcelain: Toilets, sinks, ceramic tiles, granite, and marble countertops, etc. Remove all non-porcelain parts from toilets. Items must be put in 4 ft. dumpster without staff assistance.
Automotive: Antifreeze, Batteries, Brake & Transmission Fluids, Cleaners (bug, tar, chrome, engine, vinyl), Flares, Fuels, Motor Oil (10-gallon limit per household per month, containers can be no larger than five gallons , filled only three quarters full and must be left at the site), Wax, etc.
Electronics: TVs (20” or smaller CRTs, 40” or smaller flat screen), Central Processing Units (CPUs), Computer Monitors, Keyboards, Mice, Printers, Fax Machines, Laptops, Notebooks, Ultra-Books, Net Books, Electronic Tablets, DVD Players, VCRs, Radios, Stereo Components (no speakers), Video Game Consoles and Video Display Devices with viewing screens greater than 4 inches.
Medical Sharps: Must be in a certified medical sharps container no larger than 2.2 quarts available at any pharmacy. Two per household per month accepted.
EXAMPLES OF MATERIALS NOT ACCEPTED AT THE EL PASO COUNTY HOUSEHOLD HAZARDOUS WASTE FACILITY:
- Business/Commercial Waste
- Compressed Gas Cylinders other than listed above
- Containers larger than five gallons
- Mattresses/Box springs
- Misc. Electronics: Telephones (cellular or landline), answering machines, TVs (CRTs larger than 20″ diagonal screen, flat screens larger than 40″ diagonal screen), appliances, karaoke machines, speakers, tools, lamps, loose cables/wires, media (DVDs, VHS tapes, cassettes, etc.)
- Radioactive Waste
- Recycling (plastic bottles, cardboard, etc.)
TERMS & CONDITIONS
HOUSEHOLD HAZARDOUS WASTE LIABILITY RELEASE & CERTIFICATION STATEMENT: I hereby declare and affirm of my own personal knowledge that the items delivered to the El Paso County Household Hazardous Waste Collection Facility was, in fact, generated through household use and is not business or commercial subject to federal or state waste regulations. I understand that should I surrender any data containing device to the El Paso County Household Hazardous Waste Facility for recycling it is solely my responsibility to protect my personal information. I further agree to defend, indemnify, and hold El Paso County harmless from and against any and all liabilities, demands, claims, damages, suits, judgments and decrees, and court awards including costs, expenses and attorneys’ fees, on account of injuries to or death of any person or persons or damage to any property or personal information arising out of or related to my willful misconduct or negligent acts, errors or omissions for the duration of my participation. I understand that the items will be accepted at the Household Hazardous Waste Collection Facility in reliance on the accuracy and truth of my foregoing declaration / affirmation.
Household hazardous waste is accepted from El Paso and Teller County residents at no charge. Select waste for businesses is subject to approval and fees. Please call for more information.
NOTE: If you have paint totaling more than 50 gallons and/or a large load of hazardous waste items, pre-approval is required. Please call 719-520-7879 or email KathyAndrew@elpasoco.com to schedule the appointment and for further questions.
- Do not mix products
- Do not place chemicals in a plastic bag. Stand upright in a box or a tub.
- Keep products in the original containers
- Secure products so they won’t leak
- Ensure the container is clean and free of leaves and other debris
- Motor oil is limited to 10 gallons per household per month and must come in a container that can be left at the site. The container must be no larger than 5 gallons and must be clean and free of debris.
- We accept items that contain mercury (thermometers and thermostats). Please call 520-7878 to verify acceptance or referrals for all other items containing mercury.
- The HHWF accepts most electronics. CRT TVs must be 20″ or smaller. Flat-screens must be 40″ or smaller only. You may contact 719-520-7878 for referrals on larger sizes and for businesses.
Visit the CleanSweep event page for events when we will accept all size TVs.