Rainbow Falls Historic Site

Rainbow Falls

The Rainbow Falls Historic Site consists of the namesake Rainbow Falls and a small series of waterfalls downstream. The five acres are developed with a parking area, trail head, covered kiosk with historical and geological interpretive information, picnic benches and tables, a 0.15 mile trail from the parking area to the Falls, secondary trails along Fountain Creek, and viewing overlooks.

To combat the COVID-19 Virus and be respectful for the health and safety of our citizens and staff, if the parking lots are full please consider coming back at a different time.

Masks are strongly recommended while visiting the site. Thanks in advance for your understanding.

For further information, please email parks@elpasoco.com or call 719-520-7529. We will be happy to assist you.

Schedule*:

April – May: open on Saturdays & Sundays from 10 a.m. to 4* p.m.

June – July – August: open on Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays & Mondays from 10 a.m. to 4* p.m.

September – October: open on Saturdays & Sundays from 10 a.m. to 4* p.m.

*Latest time to enter the park is 3:45 p.m.: staff will begin asking visitors to depart the site at this time.

If you are interested in receiving updates about Rainbow Falls Historic Site, volunteering opportunities, or interested in the Friends of Rainbow Falls group, please click here.

  • Location:
    West end of Manitou Springs, CO
  • Park Hours:
    April – May: open on Saturdays & Sundays from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., June – July – August: open on Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays & Mondays from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., September – October: open on Saturdays & Sundays from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
  • Driving Directions:
    Rainbow Falls can be located from US Hwy 24 – exit south on Cave of the Winds Road; follow Serpentine Drive to the first hairpin turn; the parking area is on the west side of the road.
  • Parks Department:
    (719) 520-7529
  • Park Weather: NOAA

The Rainbow Falls Historic Site is near Manitou Springs in the west central part of El Paso County. The property’s boundaries are defined by the rights-of-way of U.S. Highway 24, Serpentine Drive and West Manitou Avenue. El Paso County Parks took over ownership of Rainbow Falls in June of 2010.

For more than 100 years this small piece of real estate near Manitou Springs has been of interest to residents and visitors as well as the intersection of many man-made endeavors. The early residents of the area included the Tabeguache, or Sun Mountain people, a band of the Ute Indian tribe. The children of the Sun Mountain were considered to be the spiritual leaders of the tribe. The Utes, unlike most western plains Indians, were generally not nomadic and made the Colorado and Utah mountains their homes. They were the experts on the land and were sought out for their guidance as the area developed. They recognized the Falls as a special place. The Falls were originally thought to be named after the rainbow seen in the mist that came from the waterfall.

One of the dominating features of the site is the historic 1932 Highway 24 Bridge into Manitou Springs. This bridge crosses the creek at the Falls. The bridge is listed on the National Register of Historic Bridges and is documented by the Colorado Historical Society. The bridge was one of many new bridges designed by the Colorado Department of Transportation in the 1930’s and was noteworthy because of its technologically significant open-arching concrete structural design.

Special thanks go to the local non-profit organization, Manitou Environmental Citizens Action (M.E.C.A.). M.E.C.A. provides hundreds of volunteer hours and fundraising in support of the Rainbow Falls Recreation Area.

  • Picnic Tables
  • Hiking
  • Interpretive Displays