An Appointment Is Required
The El Paso County Environmental Division, Household Hazardous Waste Facility is located at 3255 Akers Dr. Colorado Springs, 80922 (map at bottom of page). Items accepted are listed below.
Make the appointment using the links below or call
719-520-7878 or 719-520-7879 for assistance.
El Paso/Teller County households only. (See VSQG page for waste disposal for businesses, schools, nonprofits, etc.)
Proof of residency is required at drop-off (photo ID, lease, etc.)
- Appointments for December 2023: www.hazwasteapptsdec2023.eventbrite.com
The Recyclables Program (paper, aluminum, cardboard) is separate from hazardous waste and REQUIRES A SEPARATE APPOINTMENT.
Click Household Recycling Page to make a recyclables appointment.
To ensure safety of staff and protect the personal property of customers, staff will not enter your vehicle. All individuals bringing household hazardous waste will be required to remove each item from their vehicle and place them onto a cart provided by staff. Please ensure that someone in the vehicle is able to accomplish this. Per the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), El Paso County will provide a reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with a disability who need assistance, unless doing so would impose an undue hardship to the County or fundamentally alter services. Services can be arranged with at least seven (7) business days’ notice. By emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or call 719-520-7878. “Walk-in” requests for auxiliary aids and services will be honored to the extent possible but may be unavailable if advance notice is not provided.
Some services may not be available during inclement weather (wind, rain, snow, ice, etc.) You are encouraged to call 520-7878 or 520-7879 to determine status prior to coming to the facility or visit the following links:
EXAMPLES OF MATERIALS ACCEPTED AT THE EL PASO COUNTY HOUSEHOLD HAZARDOUS WASTE FACILITY:
Paint, Stains, Solvents, Etc. Latex, Oil-Based, Aerosol, and Hobby Paints; Lacquers, Solvents, Stains, Strippers, Thinners, Varnishes, etc. Limited to a total of 50 gallons.
Lawn and Garden: Lawn & Houseplant Fertilizers, Herbicides, Insecticides, Pesticides, Rodent Poisons, Wood Preservatives, etc.
Household: Aerosols, Ammonia, Batteries (Cannot be leaking, corroded, rusted, or dirty. Must come in clear resealable bag no larger than 1 gal.), Bleach, Cleaners (for carpet, drain, oven, toilet), Cooking & Lamp oils, Degreasers, Deodorizers, Fire Extinguishers, Floor Products, Fluorescent Lights (limited to 100 ft per household per year), Furniture Polish, Lead Acid Batteries (does not require bag), Mercury, Mothballs, Pool/Spa Chemicals, Photo Chemicals, Rust Removers, Silver Cleaners, Smoke Alarms, Spot Removers, One pound (camping) and Twenty Pound (BBQ) Propane Tanks etc.
Porcelain: Toilets, sinks, ceramic tiles, granite, and marble countertops, etc. Remove all non-porcelain parts from toilets. Items must be put in 4 ft. dumpster without staff assistance.
Automotive: Antifreeze, Batteries, Brake & Transmission Fluids, Cleaners (bug, tar, chrome, engine, vinyl), Flares, Fuels, Motor Oil, Wax, etc. (Used Motor Oil, antifreeze, and fuels are limited to 10 gallons each [by volume] per customer, per appointment, per month. All must be separate from each other, must come in containers that are NO larger than 5 gallons. Five-gallon container may only be filled ¾ full and all containers must be left onsite.)
Electronics: TVs (20” or smaller CRTs, 40” or smaller flatscreens [see Clean Sweep page for larger sizes]), Central Processing Units (CPUs), Computer Monitors, Keyboards, Mice, Printers, Fax Machines, Laptops, Notebooks, Ultra-Books, Net Books, Electronic Tablets, DVD Players, VCRs, Radios, Stereo Components (no speakers), Video Game Consoles and Video Display Devices with viewing screens greater than 4 inches. (Cables/cords/wires will only be accepted if they are permanently attached to the device).
Medical Sharps: Must be in a certified medical sharps container no larger than 2.2 quarts (available at any pharmacy). Two per household per month accepted.
Mercury: We accept thermometers and thermostats. Please call 520-7878 to verify acceptance or referrals for all other items containing mercury.
- NOTE: If you have paint totaling more than 50 gallons and/or a large load of hazardous waste items, pre-approval is required. Please call 719-520-7879 or email EVS-EPC@elpasoco.com to schedule the appointment and for further questions. (Large load includes half a pickup bed or more, trailer load, and/or 50+ items).
For all non-El Paso/Teller County residents, please visit the Colorado Department of Health & Environment’s list of Hazardous Waste Collection Programs to find the site nearest you. You may also review the most current online Recycling Directory.
EXAMPLES OF MATERIALS NOT ACCEPTED AT THE EL PASO COUNTY HOUSEHOLD HAZARDOUS WASTE FACILITY:
- Air Conditioners
- Business / Commercial Waste (includes schools, churches, nonprofits, etc.) – See VSQG page for more information on the program that will begin January 2024 for non-households.
- Carpet, Rugs, Padding, Misc. Fabrics
- Compressed Gas Cylinders other than those listed above
- Containers larger than five gallons
- Electronics other than those listed above (see Clean Sweep page for larger size TVs)
- Ink and Toner Cartridges
- Lab Grade / Industrial Chemicals (see Business Waste contacts below)
- Mattresses / Box springs (see Clean Sweep page)
- Medications (click for more information)
- Radioactive Waste
- Recycling: glass, cardboard, etc. (Separate from Hazardous Waste. See Recycling page)
- School Lab Chemicals (Contact the school or company that issued the chemicals or see the “Business Waste” list below.)
- Tires (see Clean Sweep page)
- Tree Debris / Yard Waste (see the Black Forest Slash & Mulch page OR the Rocky Top Resources page)
Any unacceptable items may be rejected. If you have an item that you do not see on either list, you may call 719-520-7878 to verify acceptance.
BUSINESS WASTE CONTACT:
- Rooney Road Recycling Center at 303-316-6262
- Veolia at 303-526-8155
- Mesa Oil at 303-426-4777
- Thermo Fluids at 719-372-0234
- Safety-Kleen at 719-544-1338
TERMS & CONDITIONS
HOUSEHOLD HAZARDOUS WASTE LIABILITY RELEASE & CERTIFICATION STATEMENT: I hereby declare and affirm of my own personal knowledge that the items delivered to the El Paso County Household Hazardous Waste Collection Facility was, in fact, generated through household use and is not business or commercial subject to federal or state waste regulations. I understand that should I surrender any data-containing device to the El Paso County Household Hazardous Waste Facility for recycling it is solely my responsibility to protect my personal information. I further agree to defend, indemnify, and hold El Paso County harmless from and against any and all liabilities, demands, claims, damages, suits, judgments and decrees, and court awards including costs, expenses and attorneys’ fees, on account of injuries to or death of any person or persons or damage to any property or personal information arising out of or related to my willful misconduct or negligent acts, errors or omissions for the duration of my participation. I understand that the items will be accepted at the Household Hazardous Waste Collection Facility in reliance on the accuracy and truth of my foregoing declaration/affirmation.
Household hazardous waste is accepted from El Paso and Teller County residents at no charge. Select waste for businesses is subject to approval and fees. Please call for more information.
- Do not mix products
- Do not place chemicals in a plastic bag. Stand upright in a box or a tub.
- Keep products in the original containers
- Secure products so they won’t leak
- Ensure the container is clean and free of leaves and other debris